Advertisements

Burning issues.

Burning issues.

Acidity is a huge topic in dentistry, but often having acid reflux is grossly overlooked. Acid reflux is the backward flow of stomach acids into the esophagus or the food tube. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is said to be a more severe form of acid reflux. Having acid reflux can cause heartburn, irritations, a sour taste in the back of the throat, and much more. Because I am not a professional on the matter, I do not think I am the best person to explain the causes, symptoms, and treatments for acid reflux. I am, however, an expert on oral conditions pertaining to patients.

As stated before, acid reflux causes stomach acid to regurgitate into the tube connecting the mouth to the stomach. Healthline.com stated that approximately 60% of adults experience some sort or acid reflux! That is a lot of acid to worry about! The concern in dentistry is that stomach acid can (and does) very easily erode tooth enamel.

The exposure to stomach acid in the mouth can cause erosion of tooth enamel, tissue irritations such as sores or inflammation, and possible fractures of crowns. Stomach acid is normally in the range of 1.2- 3.5 (VERY acidic), while the oral cavity averages around 6.2-7.5 (neutral). Erosion of tooth enamel occurs around a pH of 5.7.

Erosion-1.jpg

The white arrows are pointing to all of the areas of acid erosion on the tongue side of this person’s teeth! That is a lot of wear!

One of the many purposes of saliva is to rinse the mouth of any irregularity such as acids (and bases). The process of remineralization from saliva takes about 20 minutes after exposure. This means, once your mouth is exposed to acids through eating, drinking, or acid reflux, it takes the saliva (without the help of mouth rinses) about 20 minutes to bring the acidity level in the mouth back to a non-damaging level. Unfortunately, when the acids from the stomach flourish for long periods of time the saliva is unable to neutralize the acid and erosion can occur.

Why is erosion a big deal? With acid  (or any type of) erosion, the teeth become thin, brittle, sensitive, and unprotected from the external environment. Erosion removes the strong enamel layer of the teeth and exposes the softer dentin layer that is easily broken down. The dentin layer exposes tiny ‘pores’ in the teeth that make changes in the oral environment sensitive. This is why some people experience temperature sensitivity. The ‘pores’ of the teeth are similar to very tiny tunnels that lead to the nerve of the tooth causing ‘flare-ups’ when drinking cold water.

enamel-and-dentin.png

The ‘Enamel’ is the strong protective layer of the teeth, the ‘Dentin’ is the softer layer below the enamel. This picture shows a damaged tooth with the two layers exposed.

With the enamel layer being depleted, the integrity or strength of the teeth is very small. I will often see patients that have broken, cracked or painful teeth due to having ‘thin’ enamel. With the thinner and weaker tooth structure, eating becomes complicated. Taking a bite out of firm foods such as apples, carrots, or some steaks could cause fractures to the teeth. Once breakage occurs dental treatments such as fillings, crowns, implants, and veneers are required for optimal comfort and to prevent further damage. Thin enamel also causes yellowing or other discoloration of the teeth!

Thankfully, there are things you can do to help protect the teeth! I recommend always rinsing with a plain warm water rinse after eating and drinking anything. The water will aid saliva in the neutralizing of the mouth and it is VERY inexpensive. There are also numerous products I recommend using if you have a ‘high acidity’ diet. “CloSYS” is my number one recommended mouth rinse to help reduce the cavity risk and decrease acid levels in the mouth. I have numerous patients that have great results with this product, and it is relatively inexpensive for being a specialty rinse. I also recommend ACT Alcohol Free Anticavity Fluoride Rinse. ACT rinse has great remineralizing properties. My final recommendation would be to discuss your acid reflux with your primary care physician. Fortunately, there are quite a few solutions to help reduce the symptoms associated with acid reflux!

As always, I welcome ANY of your dental questions! Hopefully, this information and all of these recommendations can help! As always, If you have any questions or concerns don’t be afraid to post a comment or send an email! I am always happy to answer your burning dental questions. Have a great day, and don’t forget to smile today!

-DentalBritt

Advertisements

Team White Teeth.

I love having white teeth, you probably do or would too. I’m also fortunate… I have been blessed with white teeth, for the most part. I also take care of them so I know what, if anything, is staining them. I don’t whiten or bleach my teeth often, and when I do, it does not last very long. Unfortunately, having naturally white teeth is dependent on how your enamel has formed. Fortunately, there are options if you don’t have white teeth already. White teeth are very dependent on how you treat them when you’re eating and drinking.
EVERYTHING stains your teeth, and I mean EVERYTHING, well except milk and water… but let’s be honest, how many people think about that.There are SO MANY PRODUCTS that claim they are “healthy” or “non-damaging” to the tooth structure or surface while whitening. These ‘miracle products’ are not as nice as you would think. Unfortunately, if you want white teeth, you’re going to have to deal with a little sensitivity. I believe you can do it. Real talk, there is no such thing as “100% all natural/healthy/non-sensitivity” whitening products. They will either make your teeth sensitive or will not work. ALL WHITENING PRODUCTS damage your teeth in some way, either permanently or temporarily… Let me explain.
Charcoal: PERMANENTLY Breaks down enamel, and is irreversible damage
Baking soda: PERMANENTLY Breaks down enamel, same as charcoal, with less intense effect, long-term use will be irreversible damage
whitening gels: (peroxide derivative): TEMPORARILY weakens enamel
gels with light: (peroxide derivative): TEMPORARILY weakens enamelWhitening toothpaste: (baking soda/peroxide derivative): PERMANENTLY or temporarily weakens enamel
Lemon or strawberry: PERMANENTLY damages enamel through acid erosion

For me, whitening reminds me of dying my hair, which I do all the time. For some people, your hair can take numerous color changes with minimal damage, while others can only dye their hair twice and have irreversible damage that needs to be removed. The difference between dying your hair and using charcoal to clean your teeth? Your teeth cannot regrow. Once your enamel is gone, you have to have replacements such as crowns, veneers, implants, or bridges, depending on the situation.

The best way to prevent damage? preventing stains in the first place. Like I said before, anything with the exception of milk and water will stain your teeth, especially wine, coffee, tea, beets, and berries. With staining foods, I suggest not eating them for long periods of time. For example, when you decide you would like to have blue berries, blackberries, and rasberries, eat them, eat as many as you want! But don’t eat them sporatically for several hours throughout the day. the same goes for beets, or cherries, or anything else that may stain. As a rule of thumb, if something will stain a plain white shirt, it will stain your teeth.

Once you’re finished eating your deliciously staining foods use a simple warm water mouth rinse. The warm water will be gentle if you have any sensitivity, and it will help flush the color from your teeth. This is certainly the least expensive way to help keep those pearly whites shining.

Next, make sure to brush and floss approximately 20 minutes after consuming any foods. Thankfully beverages are much easier to clean off of the teeth, and a rinse is sufficient. I also recommend drinking EVERYTHING through a straw. I know this may feel odd, and unnecessary, but it works. I am an AVID wine and coffee drinker. Like every single day, without fail. I swear by drinking through a straw. This is also a very simple and fairly inexpensive way to keep those stains at bay.

Finally, the last recommendation I have would be to deal with the sensitivity and whiten. Whitening is not always ridiculously expensive like in professional products. In my dental office, I always recommend my patients to use Crest whitening strips.

Crest White strips- 14 treatment option

Crest whitening utilizes Carbamide Peroxide (a hydrogen peroxide compound) to whiten. The difference between Crest white strips, and professional whitening is a concentration. Most over the counter white strip options are around 5-6% concentration. Professional whitening ranges from 10-40% concentration.

Crest white strips are great because they have various options, for example if you’d like to have white teeth in a relatively short amount of time, I recommend the white strips that are a ‘7 treatments’ or seven days. There are other options that are anywhere from 14- 30 days, or treatments. Crest also offers ‘express’ whitening. I personally have not used these, but again they have the same main ingredent, Carbamide peroxide.

Although its choosing one evil over the other, I suggest using temporarily damaging products, which I know does not sound awesome. Either way, If you’re whitening, you’re damaging. My best suggestion for preventing damage and keeping sparkly whites would be avoid stains in the first place.

Hopefully, this information and all of these recommendations can help! As always, If you have any questions, or concerns don’t be afraid to post a comment or send an email! I am always happy to answer your burning dental questions. Have a great day, and don’t forget to smile today!

-DentalBritt